- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey jack cheese with jalapeno peppers
- Tortilla chips and crisp raw vegetable dippers
- Melt butter in 3 to 4-quart pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender: Stir in tomato sauce and chilies; reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 3 minutes.
- Gradually add cheeses, stirring until cheeses are melted and mixture is evenly blended.
- Transfer to fondue pot or chafing dish; keep warm over heat source.
- Serve with tortilla chips and vegetable dippers.